Formula One

VILLENEUVE JUMPS TO ALONSO’S RESCUE

Formula One champ Jacques Villeneuve has jumped in the defence of Fernando Alonso.


The star driver is being criticized heavily by other drivers for his decision to partake in the Indy 500 next month instead of the F1 race at Monte Carlo.

The 1997 world champion and former Indy 500 winner slammed the fellow drivers for their criticisms. Top drivers including NicoHulkenberg and RomainGrosjeanblasted Alonso for deciding to take part in the dangerous race without necessary training beforehand.

Villeneuve claimed Alonso was a “real driver” for his courage to join the race.

“I’ve already said that I think what he’s doing shows that he’s a real driver,” he said. When asked to clarify what a “real driver” means, he responded: “Well, all you have to do is listen to what other drivers have said about his decision.”

Formula One

GEORGE RUSSELL SIGNS WITH MERCEDES

It’s another good new to hear that George Russell – the Norfolk youngster has been signed up by the world champions Mercedes.


The 18-year-old King’s Lynn racer just joined Mercedes, the winners of the previous three drivers’ and constructors’ F1 championships.

According to the team manager, Toto Wolff, he is a sportsman that has great potential.

“George has shown impressive form in the junior categories and we’ve been keeping a close eye on him for a while now,” he said.

George is to compete in the GP3 Series with ART Grand Prix this season, with rounds to occur during Formula One weekends. The junior Mercedes programme experienced breakthrough last year, with Pascal Wehrlein racing in F1 with Manor and picking up some tremendous qualifying performances, and also earned the second points scoring finish for the team at last year’s Austrian Grand Prix.

“It is an incredible opportunity to have the backing of the Formula One world champions. I’m proud to have been given this kind of recognition for all the hard work that’s gone into my career over the years so far,” Russell said.

Formula One

Lewis Talks About Title Turnaround

With Lewis is holding the reigns of major grand prix events right now, it is definitely true that all eyes are focused upon him.


He states that the total turnaround has been crazy, but at the same time, it might get changed all over. The title fight that ensued at the beginning of the F1 season this year has been crazy. Lewis Hamilton feels that he has definitely been able to fight and hold onto the titles that he gained. He refused to dwell on the lead or the engine penalties that were laid on. During the summer break that he is on, he is refusing to dwell on the crazy happenings that occurred on the race circuits a few months back.

Among the seven races he won six of them. This winning streak has led to a point deficit to his major rival, Nico Rosberg. He is leading over Nico with a total of 19 points. This stretches back to the collision that he had with Rosberg back in the Spanish Grand Prix. This event had taken both men out of the race. That was because Hamilton has tried to regain the lead when the first lap occurred.

Formula One

LAST TWO DAYS HAS BEEN TOUGH – SAINZ JR

Saturday qualifying saw Toro Rosso team driver, Carlos SainzJr qualify for twenty first position due to a lack of tract time especially with some of the issues the squad had faced in Abu Dhabi.


It was a real disappointment for SainzJr to qualify in twenty first position, the back row of the grid for the Grand Prix on Sunday. This came on the heels of two days of trouble which saw his Scuderia Toro Rosso team work very hard to fix the issues they faced with the suspension and rims of their STR11’s.

SainzJr came off just ahead of Sauber F1 team driver, Marcus Ericsson, thus qualifying on the back foot.

“Honestly, it’s being a very tough last two days here in Abu Dhabi, which is a bit painful as I really wanted to finish the season with a clean weekend and enjoy myself,” said Sainz.

“The team has struggled to solve the problem regarding the rear of the car and, because of this, we haven’t had much track time unfortunately.

Formula One

Tests By Buemi And Vettel

Sebastian Buemi covered 82 laps as he returned to the cockpit of the Formula 1 car of Red Bull. However, it was not for any race, but for testing the new tyres being brought into the market by Pirelli.


The new rubber tyres are being tested as they are being designed for rollout in the following year. This is how the first day of testing was concluded at Mugello. The testing was done with intermediate and wet compounds. The test was done in collaboration with Ferrari at the Fiorano site. The tests were made by other drivers as well, such as Sebastian Vettel, who sat at the wheel of a vehicle that was a SF 15-T which is referred as a mule car. This was done last Monday and on Tuesday the testing was done by Esteban Gutierrez. Pirelli in this way concluded two days of testing. The rules were then mulled over with Red Bull at the Mugello site. Pirelli sought out reserve drivers and race drivers for the tests. The role was handed by Red Bull to Buemi who was a former reserve. He had driven a Formula 1 car at a test run that had been driven in Barcelona about two years back.

Formula One

Nico Starts His 100th Week In The Grand Prix

There are many stories and achievements around the Russian Grand Prix.


One such story is of Nico Hulkenberg who would be appearing for Force India. He is lined up for representing the country at the hundredth week in Sochi. He had made his debut in 2010 at the Bahrain Grand Prix. This driver of German origin started off driving for Williams. He then started off as a test driver for Force India in 2011. Nico’s participation in the team was in 2012 after which he switched to Sauber in 2013. He then came back to Force India and has been with the team since then.

Even though this would be his hundredth weekend for races, he is yet to get achievement that he desires. He is yet to finish in F1 at the podium. Till date his best achievement has been P4. When he was interviewed he stated that he is himself surprised that he has completed hundred weeks in races. He feels that he has learnt and come far in this time span. However, he hopes to make better results and progress. That should start off with this weekend; it also is an iconic weekend for him in his career.

Formula One

Sauber – Van der Garde affair over with mutual contract termination

The murky court case between the Sauber F1 team and their former driver Giedo van der Garde has been resolved with the two parties coming to an out of court settlement to mutually terminate the driver’s contract with the team.

The Dutchman reached a settlement with the team following a verdict by the Victorian Supreme Court which said that he had valid grounds to stand on and his contract was binding as well when he was sacked by the team last season. But van der Garde decided to end his association with the team and said that his dream of racing in Formula One has now been taken away with the contract being cancelled.

The 29 year old driver issued a statement where he stated that the contract was cancelled by mutual consent and that his dream of becoming a Formula One racer is over for good now. The Dutch driver dropped his legal proceedings against Sauber F1 last week to allow the team to race in the season opening Australian Grand Prix at Melbourne where Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson earned their stripes for the team.