It’s another good new to hear that George Russell – the Norfolk youngster has been signed up by the world champions Mercedes.
The 18-year-old King’s Lynn racer just joined Mercedes, the winners of the previous three drivers’ and constructors’ F1 championships.
According to the team manager, Toto Wolff, he is a sportsman that has great potential.
“George has shown impressive form in the junior categories and we’ve been keeping a close eye on him for a while now,” he said.
George is to compete in the GP3 Series with ART Grand Prix this season, with rounds to occur during Formula One weekends. The junior Mercedes programme experienced breakthrough last year, with Pascal Wehrlein racing in F1 with Manor and picking up some tremendous qualifying performances, and also earned the second points scoring finish for the team at last year’s Austrian Grand Prix.
“It is an incredible opportunity to have the backing of the Formula One world champions. I’m proud to have been given this kind of recognition for all the hard work that’s gone into my career over the years so far,” Russell said.
Sebastian Buemi covered 82 laps as he returned to the cockpit of the Formula 1 car of Red Bull. However, it was not for any race, but for testing the new tyres being brought into the market by Pirelli.
The new rubber tyres are being tested as they are being designed for rollout in the following year. This is how the first day of testing was concluded at Mugello. The testing was done with intermediate and wet compounds. The test was done in collaboration with Ferrari at the Fiorano site. The tests were made by other drivers as well, such as Sebastian Vettel, who sat at the wheel of a vehicle that was a SF 15-T which is referred as a mule car. This was done last Monday and on Tuesday the testing was done by Esteban Gutierrez. Pirelli in this way concluded two days of testing. The rules were then mulled over with Red Bull at the Mugello site. Pirelli sought out reserve drivers and race drivers for the tests. The role was handed by Red Bull to Buemi who was a former reserve. He had driven a Formula 1 car at a test run that had been driven in Barcelona about two years back.
There are many stories and achievements around the Russian Grand Prix.
One such story is of Nico Hulkenberg who would be appearing for Force India. He is lined up for representing the country at the hundredth week in Sochi. He had made his debut in 2010 at the Bahrain Grand Prix. This driver of German origin started off driving for Williams. He then started off as a test driver for Force India in 2011. Nico’s participation in the team was in 2012 after which he switched to Sauber in 2013. He then came back to Force India and has been with the team since then.
Even though this would be his hundredth weekend for races, he is yet to get achievement that he desires. He is yet to finish in F1 at the podium. Till date his best achievement has been P4. When he was interviewed he stated that he is himself surprised that he has completed hundred weeks in races. He feels that he has learnt and come far in this time span. However, he hopes to make better results and progress. That should start off with this weekend; it also is an iconic weekend for him in his career.
The murky court case between the Sauber F1 team and their former driver Giedo van der Garde has been resolved with the two parties coming to an out of court settlement to mutually terminate the driver’s contract with the team.
The Dutchman reached a settlement with the team following a verdict by the Victorian Supreme Court which said that he had valid grounds to stand on and his contract was binding as well when he was sacked by the team last season. But van der Garde decided to end his association with the team and said that his dream of racing in Formula One has now been taken away with the contract being cancelled.
The 29 year old driver issued a statement where he stated that the contract was cancelled by mutual consent and that his dream of becoming a Formula One racer is over for good now. The Dutch driver dropped his legal proceedings against Sauber F1 last week to allow the team to race in the season opening Australian Grand Prix at Melbourne where Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson earned their stripes for the team.
James Key, the technical director of Torro Rosso said that the STR10 that is running on the tracks at Barcelona this week can be considered to be brand new if compared to the Formula one vehicle that has been tested before the season.
For the final test to be held before the F1 for 2015 begins, the car will be featuring a brand new front nose that will be absolutely William-style. The car will also have some new packages relating to suspension, cooling and aerodynamics. Key also has reported to Autosport that the new version of STR10 is the one that will also be raced in Melbourne in the next two weeks. This is because its new target is to finish the constructor’s championships in the fifth position.
He told the newspaper that since the car being used is a lot different, they have to redo the set up. Because of the changes, it is completely new and even the nose has been changed. All this had always been on their mind for a long time but the reason for them to use the long one is that the new nose will face technical difficulties and they wanted to see who comes out victorious of such a situation.
Marussia team being on the verge of collapse finally fell down to its last nail in the coffin with 31. 4 million euro as debt to the creditor.
It was Ferrari which had most of the amount. The administrators of Marussia have submitted the summary to the high court which they are liable of. The floating as well as the fixed charges is also owed by them which they have to give as due.
The documents condemn the fact that there are lot of things which are owed and discredited. Among them the top three creditors are Ferrari, McLaren and Pirelli. Timo Glock, the former driver also has his stake in the list. The circuits of F1 and FIA are also included in the list.